Godin House

Formerly located in Maisonnette, the Godin house was first owned by Edouard Godin. Borned in 1853, he got married in 1881 to Basilice Lanteigne and the couple had eight children.

Having received no land from his father, Edouard purchased a few plots. His first purchase was on April 1st, 1880, when he bought a mortgaged piece belonging to his uncle. Edouard paid part of the mortgage, a sum of $140, to take hold of one half of this plot, with a 40-yard front and 20 acres of land. This plot is the one where the Godin house was found.

Since Edouard bought the land in April, 1880 and married in September, 1881, it is quite likely that the house was built between these two dates.

The first of Edouard’s children to be borned in this house was François-Xavier, in 1882, and the last was Marie Agathe in 1899. His son Bruno, who was borned in 1891 and married to Anne-Marie Gauvin, inherited the house.

The Godin house serves as an example of a New Brunswick Acadian fisherman’s house in the late 19th century, owning also a small shed or storing wood and salting fish. Considering the year of interpretation, we may assert that in this dwelling lived Edouard and his spouse Basilice and the first children: François- Xavier, Moïse and Louis. Basilice, for part of the year 1890, is pregnant with her fourth son, Bruno, who was born on March 1st, 1891. Referring to the 1891 census, we learn that Edouard and his wife, as well as the eldest son François-Xavier, knew how to read and write.

The furniture found in the various rooms is not entirely home-made, but rather a mixture of the latter with industrial products. In the late 19th century, industrial furniture slowly replace the Acadian home-made furniture.


  • Two brick chimneys on the roof
  • Indoor spaces divided by walls defining the bedrooms
  • Indoor walls of pine boards set vertically
  • Outdoor siding of vertical tongue-and-groove boards set vertically 
  • Symetry in the arrangement of doors and windows
  • Two-sided roofs with a 44-degree slope

Gionet salt-house
This building was used for salting the fish before exporting. This salt-house was formerly owned by Martin Gionet and was located in Bas-Caraquet. Distinctive features:

  • Square-hewn logs construction with dovetail assembly
  • Central door
  • Lack of windows

Léo Thériault shed
Distinctive features:

  • Walls covered with vertical boards
  • Central door
  • Lack of windows